For all incidents involving animal bites:
In Jefferson County, outside the city: Call Jefferson County Animal Services via the Sheriff Dispatcher at 360-344-9779, ext. 0. Animal Services will investigate the circumstances of the incident and check on the animal’s rabies vaccination status. They will report to Jefferson County Public Health if there is a possible rabies exposure. Decisions on what to do with the animal and how to treat the person who was bitten will be determined once the information is collected.
For wild animals:
- Call Jefferson County Animal Services via the Sheriff Dispatcher at 360-344-9779, ext. 0
- If you have captured the animal, Do not harm the animal.
- Do not allow other persons to come in contact with the animal.
For bat bite or other bat contact:
- Capture the bat, using heavy gloves, and call Jefferson County Public Health to have the bat tested. 360- 385-9400. Instructions for safely capturing bats for rabies testing: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/5100/420-190-BatTransportInstructions.pdf
- If the bat was not captured, go to the emergency room to be evaluated for treatment with rabies vaccine and rabies immune globulin (RIG).
To view the COMPLETE Jefferson County Public Health information release, please click HERE